Dalian Medical University (DMU) was founded in 1947, originally known as Guandong Medical College. In 1949, it joined with Dalian University and the name was changed into the Medical College of Dalian University. In 1950, the organizational system of Dalian University was cancelled and since then Dalian Medial College had become an independent college. In 1969, the college moved to Zunyi, a city of Guizhou Province, to establish the Zunyi Medical College. And in 1978, the college moved back to its original location in Dalian, still with the name of Dalian Medical College. In 1994, approved by the State Education Commission (SEC), DMU adopted its present name. Nowadays, the university has fledged into a multi-disciplinary medical university which also offers programs in other fields like arts, science, management, and law.